Jump To Navigation
At The Law Firm Of Kevin Stuart CavanaughAttorney Kevin Stuart Cavanaugh

My commitment to excellent client service begins with the free consultation and doesn't end until your case is resolved. If problems arise, you can be sure that I will handle those problems personally. I believe in being both responsive and dedicated to my clients, because my clients deserve nothing less. Since every case and client is different, I often utilize creative solutions to solve my clients' problems.

Read More >

Qualified Domestic Relations Orders or QDRO

Your Divorce May Entitle You to a Qualified Domestic Relations Order or QDRO

A "qualified domestic relations order" is an order that needs to be included in a divorce agreement when dealing with pension funds. The QDRO establishes your soon-to-be-ex-spouse's legal right to receive a designated percentage of your qualified plan account balance or benefit payments.

Since your ex becomes entitled to this money, he/she will also be responsible for paying the related income taxes when that money is received in the form of a pension, annuity or withdrawals. In effect, your ex becomes a co-beneficiary of your existing qualified plan pension account.

Also, the QDRO arrangement permits your ex to withdraw his/her share and roll the money over into his or her own IRA to the extent current withdrawals are permitted by the terms of the qualified retirement plan. The IRA rollover procedure allows your ex to take over management of the money while continuing to postpone taxes until funds are withdrawn from the IRA. Once again, the important point from your perspective is that your ex will be the one who owes the taxes.

What happens when your qualified retirement account money goes to your ex without a QDRO?

It's treated as a taxable distribution to you. This means you owe the IRS for money that actually winds up in your ex's pocket. Your ex will love this, because it's a tax-free windfall at your expense. On top of the income tax bill, you may also get stung with the 10% premature withdrawal penalty if you are under age 59 1/2. This just adds insult to injury.

What information do I need to have in my divorce decree?

  • Name and mailing address of the "plan participant" (you) and the "alternate payee" (your ex)
  • Each retirement qualified, plan account to be split up under your divorce.
  • The dollar amount or percentage of benefits to be paid from each account to the alternate payee
  • The number of payments or benefits period covered by the QDRO.
  • Your papers should also specify that a qualified domestic relations order is being established under your state's domestic relations laws and Section 414(p) of the Internal Revenue Code.

You should consult a tax professional with divorce case experience to make sure all the required bells and whistles get included. Obviously, this must happen before the divorce papers are finalized. Do not assume your divorce attorney knows how to prepare a QDRO.

Contact Me

The Law Firm of
Kevin Stuart Cavanaugh

7111 W. 98th Terrace
Suite 140
Overland Park, KS 66212-6158

Office: 913-387-3193
Cell: 913-290-0938 Text Enabled
Fax: 913-387-3194
email: cavlaw44@gmail.com

Contact Me

E-Mail Me | Map & Driving Directions